Meet Dr. Johnson
Stephen H. Johnson, M.D.
Listed in Best Doctors in America since 1989 and in Castle Connolly’s “Top Doctors” since its original publication in 1992
Dr. Stephen H. Johnson is a board certified ophthalmologist whose expertise in small incision cataract surgery, Intraocular Lens (IOL) implantation and refractive surgery is nationally and internationally recognized. He has practiced ophthalmology in Newport Beach since 1981 and has performed thousands of cataract surgeries. He is on staff at Hoag Memorial Hospital where he previously served as Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Johnson has taught cataract surgery to eye surgeons all over the world. He has given hundreds of lectures, been the director of dozens of courses and has demonstrated surgical techniques by performing televised live surgery in many different countries. His teaching invitations have taken him throughout the U.S., from Harvard to Hawaii, and to countries across the globe, from Africa and Europe to China. He has also donated his time and skills as a medical missionary at the Lighthouse for Christ in Mombassa, Kenya, East Africa.
Dr. Johnson is an innovator and patent holder who has designed surgical instruments and intraocular lenses which carry his name.
“I treat each patient’s eye the same as I treated the eyes of my mother, my father and my grandfather – the same way I would want my eye treated. Restoring vision is a wonderful thing to be involved in, but not to take credit for. When people thank me for what they’ve had done, I tell each patient that while I am happy to be an instrument involved in their care, what was done for them has happened to them because of the grace of God. They should give Him the glory, not me.”
- Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Olaf College, Northfield Minnesota
- Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Minnesota
- Internship in Internal Medicine and residency in Ophthalmology at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
- Fellowship in cataract and Intraocular Lens (IOL) surgery
- Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- Past recipient of the AAO Honor Award given in recognition of teaching his fellow ophthalmologists
- Recipient of the Senior AAO Award given in recognition of teaching his fellow ophthalmologists
- Chosen by the AAO to be one of the authors of their current Maintenance of Certification materials from which the current board certification questions are drawn
- Served as a member of the AAO Annual Meeting Program Cataract Committee which reviews submissions from other cataract surgeons
- Considered a founding member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
- Served on the ASCRS Scientific Advisory Board as well as its Cataract Clinical Committee
- Partner in the Newport Bay Surgery Center
- Served as Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Hoag Memorial Hospital
- Served as President of the Orange County Society of Ophthalmology
- Previously served on the Board of the Ophthalmic Outpatient Surgery Society